Your Ad Here

Monday, November 27, 2006

Medalist: Global Warming Hurts Skiing


Rising temperatures due to global climate change pose dangers to the sport of skiing, according to an American Olympic medalist.

"My parents put me on skis as soon as I could walk and I never looked back. But I worry that in the future the only place you'll find skiing is in the history books," says Ted Ligety, medalist at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy.

"Global warming has become a major threat to the sport. I've already seen changes in my lifetime," he adds. "It seems warmer, and there's been less snow over the years. The ski season is starting later and ending earlier. Scientists say that the ski season could actually keep shrinking until there's never enough snow to ski, regardless of the time of year.

"But it doesn't have to be that way," he says. "I'm teaming up with World Wildlife Fund to bring attention to this problem and encourage people to save skiing. The most important thing people can do is to tell politicians to make global warming a priority. And everyone can make a difference by saving energy at home and using less gas. Whether it's buying money-saving energy efficient bulbs or driving a hybrid, every bit counts."



Even a $1 or $2 contribution would help. If you can't contribute, please support us by clicking the Google ad above. Thank you!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home