Your Ad Here

Sunday, January 21, 2007

5 Things You Don't Know About Me




Editor's Note: Readers know this is not a personal-oriented blog. However, I was "tagged" for an Internet blog game called "5 Things You Don't Know About Me" by fellow blogger Paula Mooney.

Who am I to not go along, so here it is ...

1. I have a wonderful family here in Baltimore ... my beautiful wife Lisa, my age six-going-on-16 daughter Anna and stepson Steven. (Oh, and our Boston terrier Charlie and our bird, Sir Chirps.) We live in the Hampden neighborhood in a house that's 126 years old (and decades ago it was a funeral home).

2. I am a Buddhist. Several years ago I came to the Dharma and took Refuge within the Karma Kagyu school of Tibetan Buddhism. Practicing the Dharma today is very important to me and is part of nearly every aspect of my life. I am a student of Shamar Rinpoche. Living in Baltimore, I meditate and practice the Dharma at the Baltimore Shambhala center. Through meditation and the Dharma, I slowly come closer to the nature of mind and basic goodness.

3. I went to college at Hampshire College in Amherst, Mass., where there were no grades, tests or fraternities. Hampshire operates as an alternative, experimenting institution. It's very self-directed. No babysitting of students. You either succeed or you're gone. It was a great experience.

4. I used to write entertainment books. I wrote books on vampire movies, the rock group ZZ Top, the TV series Deep Space Nine and ... I cringe to admit it, but yes, the pop group New Kids on the Block.

5. I've loved being a newspaper reporter. You get to meet a lot of interesting people and see things most people, well, only ever get to read about. For instance, about 10 years ago I got called to a Hindu temple in surburban Maryland about a sacred statue that was drinking milk. Apparently, other Ganesh statues worldwide were also drinking milk. You don't see that everyday.


Bookmark http://universeeverything.blogspot.com/ and drop back in sometime.










Enter your Email





Preview Powered by FeedBlitz





Digg!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Paris David said...

Very nice, Scott! Glad to learn more about you -- the man behind the scientific pieces.

Of course, I'd love to see more of this...but who am I to try and drive your blog topic direction?

I like the pic and you and your wife, too. You look a lot younger in this pic than that other pic on MyBlogLog.com

Keep up the great blogging my cyberbud!

Paula

1:11 PM  
Blogger Scott Nance said...

Thanks, Paula. I may still surprise you yet! :)

Thanks so much for all your help. I wouldn't be where I am in the blogosphere without you. You deserve a lot of praise for helping fellow bloggers.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home