Your Ad Here

Friday, February 09, 2007

O'Connor: Iraq Study Was 'So Out Of My Field'


Retired U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor admits to initially feeling a little out of her element when she was invited to join the Iraq Study Group to offer new alternatives to U.S. involvement in Iraq.

"I wasn't sure I should do it,"she tells Newsweek in an exclusive interview in the current issue. "It was so out of my field of judging. I don't know anything about the military."

President Bush has all but rejected the study group's recommendations but O'Connor is unwilling to criticize Bush.

"There are probably no perfect answers," she tells Assistant Managing Editor Debra Rosenberg in the February 12 issue of Newsweek (on newsstands Monday, February 5).

O'Connor also talks about her decision to retire. In the spring of 2005, with Chief Justice William Rehnquist publicly battling thyroid cancer, the two justices discussed timing. "We talked a little bit,"O'Connor recalls. "I was concerned about whether he had an intention to step down since his plans might have altered my own. It's hard for the nation to grapple with two [retirements] at once," she says. "He indicated he didn't want to step down." So she realized she had to go first.

O'Connor retired so she could spend more time with husband John, battling Alzheimer's disease. O'Connor has had to place her husband at a care facility near their Arizona home.

"It's such a miserable disease. It's so sad. It's so hard. I did the best I could," O'Connor says. "He wants me there all the time."

It's been a difficult transition, says former Sen. Alan Simpson, a family friend. "It's tough to go home at night and no longer have this warm,witty guy there," he says of O'Connor.


Bookmark http://universeeverything.blogspot.com/ and drop back in sometime.









Enter your Email





Preview Powered by FeedBlitz





Digg!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Paris David said...

Hey Scott -- You never told me how you figured out how to post date your pieces.

Let me know,
Paula

6:49 PM  
Blogger Scott Nance said...

Hey Paula,

Sorry. I thought I had. It's easy. It's under the Post Options tag on the post editor screen. A box opens in which you can change the post date & time.

Hope that helps. Thanks!

Scott

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home