'Do's and Don'ts' of Holiday Decorating For Safety
Each year, during the 60 days surrounding the winter holiday season, about 11,000 people are treated in hospital emergency rooms due to decoration-related injuries with falls, cuts, shocks and burns topping the list. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that each year an average of 240 fires involving dried-out Christmas trees result in 16 deaths and $13 million in property damage. An average of 13,000 candle-related fires are estimated by CPSC staff to occur annually, resulting in 170 deaths and $390 million in property damage.
"Deaths, injuries and the millions of dollars in property damage related to holiday-decorating hazards are preventable," says CPSC Acting Chairman Nancy Nord. "Keep the holidays festive, by keeping your family and friends safe from harm."
Use the following safety tips when decorating this year:
Trees and Decorations:
- Indoors or outside, DO use only lights that have been tested for safety by a nationally recognized testing laboratory, such as UL or ETL/ITSNA. Use only newer lights that have thicker wiring and safety fuses to prevent the wires from overheating.
- Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections. Throw out damaged sets.
- If using an extension cord, DO make sure it is rated for the intended use.
- DON'T use electric lights on a metallic tree. The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and a person touching a branch could be electrocuted.
- When using lights outdoors, DO check labels to be sure they have been certified for outdoor use and only plug them into a ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) protected receptacle or a portable GFCI.
- DO turn off all holiday lights when you go to bed or leave the house. The lights could short out and start a fire.
Keep burning candles within sight.
Keep lighted candles away from items that can catch fire and burn easily, such as trees, other evergreens, decorations, curtains and furniture.
Always use non-flammable holders and keep away from children and pets.
Extinguish all candles before you go to bed, leave the room or leave the house.
Use care with "fire salts," which produce colored flames when thrown on wood fires. They contain heavy metals that, if eaten, can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation and vomiting. Keep them away from children.
DO NOT burn wrapping paper or plastic items in the fireplace. These materials can ignite suddenly and burn intensely, resulting in a flash fire.
Place a screen around your fireplace to prevent sparks from igniting nearby flammable materials.
Watch more breaking news now on our video feed:
Bookmark http://universeeverything.blogspot.com/ and drop back in sometime.